Monday, August 2, 2010

Black Cat Omens and a Fancy Dinner, Celebrity Invited!







This past week I turned a significant ## on the same ##th of July. To start the day off, there was a black cat parked under my car. It took me at least 5 minutes to shoo him away and I thought what a great way to start this once in a lifetime birthday, perhaps I should crawl back in bed. But instead I responsibly got in my car and drove to work. Work was great, boss out of town, and the ladies made me strawberry shortcake. Then Grant planned a fancy dinner out at the "Tuscany" restaurant with my parents in tow. The food, not worth the money, the ambiance incredible. Ella came with of course, we all sat down and opened our menus which lit up with LED lights like a computer screen. Ella thought that was the coolest. Then we talked about how Mark Eaton, a former famous Jazz Basketball player, owns the place and wouldn't it be cool if he were there. Grant and I took a few minutes to explore the old house and grounds and as we came back through the bar area, there he was eating a salad. I didn't want to go up to him at first, but Grant talked me into it. He was very nice and wished me a Happy Birthday. I'll just add this guy is huge. When he stood, I was overwhelmed and for anyone who knows the dizzying heights of my relatives know I'm not easily intimidated by height. I looked him up the next day and he's 7'4". Wow! But anyway maybe that Black Cat was a good omen after all. And maybe this last year of a certain decade will be my best so far.
Speaking of which, I've been pondering over my bucket list for this final year in my ##s. My boss once told me about his ##th Birthday and how it was horrible because he didn't have a job, he failed the CPA, and he had no kids. I've thought back on the last 9 years and my accomplishments. Pardon me while I toot my horn for a minute. Got married, check, Graduated from college, check, started my career, check, beat cancer, check, beat cancer again, check, bought a house, check, traveled to Europe, check, had a baby, check check. There have been some triumphs, and some awful mistakes. Many ups and downs. And I look back with bittersweet fondness, sigh, and dream of the next decade where I will hopefully have a little more wisdom a little more health, a lot more patience, and plenty of love. I'm almost there.
So I will not be making a bucket list of things I still need to accomplish this year, before time runs out on my youth. I will learn to relax and enjoy things as they are and for not how they used to be or how I want them to be. I will spend the next year reliving my childhood with my beautiful baby girl. I will find the true fountain of youth in my heart. Because living in my parents house has a few advantages. In lots of ways I get to feel like a kid again! (Sorry this post was so long. For those of you who made it to the end of this, you are my true friends and truly love me!)

7 comments:

Rochelle said...

I love this post! Happy #$@*&# birthday!!! It sounds like a great one. I've never been to that restaurant. I'll have to go there sometime. You are awesome.

p.s. I too would be a little bewildered by the black cat's visit. Maybe it was there to say, "superstition, schmooperstition."

Michelle said...

So glad your birthday turned into more good luck!

Candice said...

Yes! I'm a true friend! I'd say you've been through a lot in 29, I mean ## years! It seems like just yesterday we were giving each other Alpine Whites for our Birthdays. Whatever happened to those?

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Sounds like a good idea! I think you've done pretty well for yourself. :)

Laura Howard said...

I'm so glad that black cat was not a bad omen...maybe it was meant for me and not you? ha ha

I think next summer we should have a big ol' party to celebrate both you and Peter turning the big ##!

Sarah said...

You certainly deserved a great night out. You are amazing. You've got your priorities straight and have accomplished a lot(check!). I was inspired reading this.
Here's to slowly enjoying this year.

Natalie said...

Yay for true friends who truly love you. lol. Count me as one. Happy ##th bday. ;)

I should follow your lead and make this last year in my ##'s one of adventure - fulfilling my bucket list. Keep us up to date on that, k.